RSS

Global Game Jam 2009 Impressions

Saturday, January 31, 2009

It is now 12:00 and I officially quit the global game jam.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about an explanation follows.

The global game jam is a worldwide event, in which game developers meet in different parts of the world, for a 48 hours session of game development.
The objective is to make a working prototype/game in the said amount of time, utilizing no sleep what-so-ever.
This is the first year it is held worldwide and in turn the first time it's held in Israel.

I decided to join this event thinking, I can really make it and have a finished game by the end of the jam.
Here's the problem, I don't know Flash or any other rapid prototyping platform, which is a problem when your are trying to create a game in 48 hours.
The only thing remotely similar to that which I know is Silverlight.

So innocently I tried to make a game in Silverlight, I had a graphical designer on my "staff", but that didn't help since Silverlight sucks at creating games.
There were a few problems I encountered:

  • Silverlight doesn't have any movie clip component, that means that key frame animation is out of the door.
    Although eventually I did find an open source code that gives that ability the other problem killed me.
  • Silverlight doesn't have an absolute coordinates system, another important feature for a game, especially the one that I tried to make which was a platform game.
    a Gaame like that involves a lot of collision detection, which is hard to do when you have no normal way to know where your objects are.
After battling with the game for about 27 hours, I finally decided to quit (the graphical designer quit a long time before I did :) ).
I'm still gonna hang in there till the final stretch, completing some homework I have, just to see the end results of some other people.

What did I learn in this event:
  • I have to learn Flash
  • I hate Silverlight
  • Creating a game in 48 hours is tough
  • Not sleeping in that time is tougher
In coclusion, the event was really cool, about 50 people came, a really large group for such a small country.
But, it was really frustraing not to get any real game done.

Maybe next year...

----------------
Now playing: Dream Theater - Erotomania [Instrumental]
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, man. It's too bad you didn't get to finish that game, but hat off just for keeping at it for 27 straight hours. Very impressive!

btw, I'm curious, do developers there help/share insights with each other, or is it more of each team for themselves?

Zar Sluzky said...

of course, everybody's very friendly here, and share their insights.