RSS

Thoughts on Online Projects

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Recently I learned that the leaders of a long running project, I was a part of for a short period, openFrag, have stepped down due to lack of productivity.
Although the project is not officially closed, my experience tells me that, without the leadership it won't live on, and that's a real shame since the project was in an advance stage.
(if there's anyone out there interested in leading a great group of people, head on here).

I also learned that another project I was following, Project Wish, has closed its doors after 4 years of development, again a real shame.

All these events have triggered a post in my mind.

I'm a veteran of more than 4 projects like these, most of them ended in the same way.
I always looked to other projects to see if they are fairing better than my failing projects, and yes there were some that were still out there fighting to survive.
But now when I look at these projects and see, that they have crashed and burned just like all my projects it makes me wonder:
Do these kind of projects have any chance of making it?

Well, the answer is complicated, it all depends on your definition of "making it".
If your definition is creating a game and making money of it, than the answer is mostly "no".

On the other hand, if your definition is creating a finished product, then the percentage is higher.
We just have to look at The Silver Lining project, a project to create continuation to King's Quest, which is looking at a release date soon.
Is there a key to their success?
Well, I don't know, but form a purely observational point of view, their key to success is their project management, the project is lead by some very motivated individuals.
They put emphasis on community and from what I understand keep a tight shift and schedule, which gives its results.
Not to say that the team hasn't got anything to do with it, they're too motivated and passionate about the game's origins and it's current route.
But since the team can change during the lifetime of the project, it's important to keep a motivated and dedicated leading staff.

Getting back to our discussion...
I think that the best way to define "making it" in these kinds of projects, is by the learning experience.
Because let's face it most of these projects don't make it to a final product, the project depends on so much people form all corners of the world, it's tough keeping them in line, so they stop participating, they stop communicating and the project just stops.
So, I think these projects are a learning experience at best, if you get out of the project with a new thing learned, then you've made it.

So go out, find a project and join it, it's fun, you meet new people, and you learn new things.
Just keep the expectations from the end result low.

----------------
Now playing: Norah Jones - Sunrise
via FoxyTunes

0 comments: