RSS

AAA Dreams

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Recently I've been thinking of ideas for new games.
Just something I tend to do recently, probably all the inspiration and mind opening, I get from studying the subject.

The problem I'm facing, is that I can't stop thinking in AAA titles concepts.

What do I mean?
Every game I come up with has to be a AAA title, or it'll never work. It has to have the graphics, the sound and the environments in order to sell/succeed.
And that's a problem, mainly since in my little country, there're no resources for these kind of games.
But let's leave that aside, let's say I moved and I get the money for this AAA title.

The main problem in my opinion, is the fact that I can't come up with a novel concept or even a good one.

What does this have to do with the title?
This has everything to do with it, since in my opinion a good concept works with any graphics be it 2D or 3D, cheap or rich.
If the concept is fresh and good, then you don't have to distract people with shiny graphics, since the game itself is fun.

What are the conclusions?
Well, first of all, finding a new idea, innovating, is difficult and is not done very often.
What most designers do is iterate an old idea, and make it look new.
That's nice, but also requires a new mechanism inside the new game, that makes the new iteration better than its predecessor.

So I think I'll settle on thinking of a new mechanism on an old game concept for now, as an exercise, see where it leads.

----------------
Now playing: Chris Botti - Back Into My Heart
via FoxyTunes

0 comments: