RSS

Actual Work Being Done

Sunday, March 15, 2009

I'm glad to say that, the development on my game project for this studying year has commenced.
We (the team) have divided the work into parts, currently we have the following positions filled:

  • Project Director
  • Designers
  • Art Director
  • Server Programmer
  • Client Programmer
Of course since this is a no-budget project, most of us are wearing multiple hats.
And let me tell you, it's not easy balancing those hats on top of your head.

a Little bit of History
We were 3 guys at the beginning...
We all started out as designers, trying to put the main game concepts in place, that took a couple of months worth of sessions.
Then we built up a work plan, already divided up into the relevant parts, and we started working at those parts.

Since we're all new to online-development, we started out by learning our subjects and consulting with our teachers on the best approaches to the game.
As we were studying (me and the client programmer), the 3rd guy was busy recruiting and directing the whole thing.
Later, our art department came to be with a 4th guy joining in the fun.
As he began getting art assets out, we actually started to see the real game, and all of a sudden we were in it.
We cut our studies short and we dived in, everybody had their niche and we began to really work (that was about two weeks ago :) ).

My Two Cents
My main position is the Server Programmer, so when I say coding was done, I don't mean I was programming any cool 3D graphics.
No, it was a pretty basic user access module, that I've written.

But I have to say that, even though it's just a boring little module, I was excited when I was writing it.
The reason being, it's our project, the same project that started as a thought, that we talked about in cars driving home from college, the same project we tinkered with weeks at a time.
And now, it was getting its first lines of code, that will eventually make it a reality.
The game we wanted, the game that will be!

----------------
Now playing: Chorus of Tribes - Inception
via FoxyTunes

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very dramatic :)
I hope it indeed becomes reality. Online gaming == flash?